About Jibal and the project
JIBAL is a not-for-profit association that champions environmental and social justice principles. We envision a society centered on principles of reciprocity, recognition, and equitable redistribution. The work intertwines socio-cultural and ecological perspectives to promote a holistic approach to societal development. JIBAL promotes sustainability in all its aspects – in the built and natural environments, in human societies, and in economic and social policies – by developing and implementing different activities such as workshops, trainings, and applied research projects. JIBAL receives its funding mainly from international donors.
Jibal is starting, in collaboration with Helvetas, a 1-year project aimed at promoting food sovereignty in Lebanon through ensuring food quality and food security for vulnerable neighbourhoods affected by Beirut blast. Jibal is looking for an experienced project coordinator for the duration of the project. The project aims at
- Supporting the transition towards circular economy, local and sustainable agriculture, of farmers within a short distance from Beirut (neighbouring Mount-Lebanon and Bekaa).
- Initiating a process or direct and affordable sales from these farmers to the inhabitants of vulnerable urban neighbourhoods.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Prepare workplans and budgets (Jointly with staff of contracting partner)
- Take the lead in implementing the agreed workplan. This will include
- Awareness raising of farmers
- Coordinate training and capacity building of farmers; ensure quality of the measures
- Provide coaching support for farmers to apply new practices
- Contribute to establishing contacts with vulnerable urban populations
- Organise and setup direct sales channels
- Help with financial projections for both farmers and market organisers
- Link farmers with service providers / input suppliers. Manage financial support where agreed and required
- Ensure implementation of workplan follows agreed timelines; identify and point out potential impediments
- Monitor agreed indicators
- Analyzes, assesses, and review project progress and learnings in coordination with Jibal and Helvetas
- Help in the writing of narrative and financial reports
- The project coordinator will closely work Jibal and Helvetas’ teams
- A flexible working environment with a working schedule equivalent to 5 days a week, 7h/day, 2 days of vacation per month.
- The staff will be based at Mansion, Zoukak El Blat, Beirut.
- A rewarding work environment where debates and trainings are regularly organized.
- The possibility to get involved in the overall decision-making process.
- A one-year contract.
Profile of the candidate
- Experience in sustainable agriculture, sustainable food systems, food sovereignty.
- Fluent Arabic and English speaking and writing skills, French is a plus.
- Good organization skills.
- A substantial project coordination experience.
- The candidate has to be able to work under pressure as this will be an intense project
Interested? Please send us a relevant CV and your motivation (email or letter) at firstname.lastname@example.org